1.03.2013

meet piper.


I have been pretty resistant to the phase of life I now find myself in.  (That being the "all my kids are in school" phase.)  First of all, it makes me feel old. (Shallow and vain, I know.)

But more than anything, I just miss that unstructured time of playing, teaching, and snuggling with all my little children for so much of each day.  Being a mother to young children was a role I embraced and enjoyed so much, and now I feel I'm in a new spot trying to figure it all out again. 


After presenting Jimmy with these ideas:

"Let's have another baby!" (Nope.)

and then a couple months later,

"I think I'm going to start homeschooling!" (Uh...really?)


He said, "I think maybe you are just having a hard time letting go of this time of our lives."

I've realized he is right.  It has been hard for me to have these years come to a close.  I want to embrace this new phase and love it too--hopefully before I find myself in the next phase!  I just don't feel like it is as natural of a fit for me.  So while I work on that . . .

I got myself a puppy. :)

Actually we've talked about this for years and have promised the kids when ava is potty trained we will get a puppy, and then it moved to when ava starts kindergarten we'll get a puppy, and then it moved to when we get a house with a fenced yard we'll get a puppy.

Well those things have all happened and we just adore this little pup that was delivered to our doorstep on Christmas morning!  Ava immediately named her Piper and we all agreed that's what she would be called. 



-- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- --

9 comments:

Girlfrog said...

i know exactly what you mean! I've struggled with the "not being the young mom with you children," thing too and it's been hard to figure out this new role and give up the old role that I LOVED. School seems to take up such a huge part of our day that I find myself unable to fit in the sort of things that I want to do with the children (read books, do projects, etc.).

Piper is too cute and will keep you busy!

cristelle amber said...

This made me cry... Too often I find myself thinking "it will get easier when..." I just want to enjoy the moment that I am in. Thanks for getting my mind straight again. Love you!

Meg said...

Oh my word, there is nothing cuter than a golden puppy! I actually did something similar when my little kids turned into big kids and began full time school. I'm still loving my big golden, Gilmore, 5 years later. He is sitting at my feet under my desk as we speak, although I don't know how he manages to squish himself in under there! Have fun!

Misty said...

What a darling puppy! I just got all of my kids in the school phase this year as well and it has been an adjustment for sure. You blink and their childhoods are over. It's so sad. I needed the reminder to enjoy whatever phase of life I am in. Thank you!

gillar girl said...

Thank you girls! It's good to know I'm not alone in these feelings. :)

Holly and Sean said...

I love that beautiful dog!! I think my husband is in the same stage, he desperately wants a dog lol.

Ryan and Julie said...

I know you would get a lot out of this blog post I just read! I took the time to read it and it is soooo good! I feel that God lead me to your blog first, I read this entry, and then I was lead to this other blog entry....and so I feel I'm supposed to share with you :) here is the link :) http://peaceofmindministries.com/blog/?p=1916&cpage=1#comment-3414

Have a great day! Julie Martin

gillar girl said...

Julie, you are so very thoughtful to come back and share this link with me. I just had a chance to read through the post (and quite a few others :) and loved them. I actually have bookmarked the site because it is so full of wisdom and speaks to what I am feeling right now in my life. You were indeed led to share it with me. xo, Tiffany

Ryan and Julie said...

I'm so glad you liked it, and I'm happy to see how amazing God works! I also have enjoyed her posts and have gained knowledge and wisdom that I need as I am in a similar place. My youngest is in school full time this year and I'm at home to find my new normal :) we got a new puppy too :) So hopefully we can figure out what this new time in our lives is supposed to look like :) take care Julie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...